Who can apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program?
The UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) provides opportunities for students from Sub-Saharan Africa to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies at UBC.
The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
How do I apply?
You can find more information about the application process here.
Can I apply to the graduate programs if I have not finished my studies yet?
If you are in the process of completing your bachelor’s degree, you can submit an application. You will need to provide proof of your bachelor’s degree prior to starting the graduate program and registering for classes. The Program will use your grades to date to calculate your current GPA.
What are the important dates and deadlines I should know?
- November 1 or earlier : Nominating high school or non-profit organization completes 2018 Nomination Notification Form for UBC Awards to confirm the full name and date of birth of their nominee(s).
- November 15: High school/non-profit organization submits the completed MCFSP nomination package (couriered or mailed packages must be postmarked by November 15).
- December 1: The nominee must complete the online admissions application and notify us to waive the fee by completing the survey form 2018 Admissions Application Completion Form for UBC Awards
- January 31: Our office will email the nominee to confirm that we have received your MCFSP nomination package. If you have not received an email by this date, contact us as soon as possible.
- January 31: Deadline for nominee/school to submit any supporting documentation and/or results not available by December 1 (such as transcripts, supporting financial documentation, TOEFL score).
- Applications will be released in September. We appreciate your patience during this time.
How do I know if I meet the academic requirements?
You can check if you meet the minimum academic requirements as a graduate applicant here: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/international-students/funding-international-students
Which faculties offer the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship?
- Faculty of Arts (Bachelor of Arts)
- Vancouver School of Economics (Bachelor of International Economics)
- Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems
- Global Resource Systems
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Applied Biology
- Applied Animal Biology
- Applied Plant & Soil Sciences
- Food & the Environment
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Sauder School of Business
- Full-Time MBA Program
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Applied Science (MASc)
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Education
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL)
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED)
- Masters of Education in Science Education (M.Ed)
- Faculty of Medicine
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
I am a current UBC student who needs funding, can I apply?
Unfortunately, applications for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program are only available for incoming new-to-UBC African scholars.
What is the English requirement?
English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they’re admitted.
There are nine ways to meet UBC’s minimum English Language Admission Standard for an undergraduate degree on the Vancouver campus. If you do not meet this requirement, you may be interested in one of our academic English development programs on UBC’s Vancouver campus.
I have applied but cannot pay the UBC application fee; how do I proceed?
Undergraduate: please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate: After we have received your entire application package, please email email@example.com to see if you are eligible for a fee waiver. We will not provide you with this information until we have received your completed application package.
How much does the scholarship cover?
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program covers all expenses associated with UBC tuition, housing and food. Scholars also receive a stipend each month to support their lives in Vancouver.