Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Sauder School of Business
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Medicine
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Please note that Convention refugees and students intending to become landed immigrants to Canada are not eligible for consideration for this award.
- Admissibility Submission:
- Sauder Admissibility Submission: November 1, 2017
- All other faculties: November 10, 2017
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application November 17, 2017
- UBC Faculty Applications:
- Forestry: January 1, 2018
- Land and Food Systems: January 1, 2018
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (M.Ed) – January 1, 2018
- Masters of Higher Education (M.Ed) – January 1, 2018
- Masters in Science Education (M.Ed) – December 1, 2017
- Medicine: January 15, 2018
- Sauder School of Business: January 15, 2018
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents by the dates requested above.
Graduate applications are NOW CLOSED.