Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not have a Graduate degree already;
- be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Sauder School of Business
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Please note that Convention refugees and students intending to become landed immigrants to Canada are not eligible for consideration for this award.
Step 1: Admissibility Submission:
- Sauder Admissibility Submission: October 25, 2018
- All other faculties: November 9, 2018
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application November 16, 2018
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Forestry: December 14, 2018
- Land and Food Systems: December 14, 2018
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – December 14, 2018
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – December 14, 2018
- Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2018
- Medicine: December 14, 2018
- Sauder School of Business: December 14, 2018
- Science: January 13, 2019
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents (including reference letters) by the dates requested above.
Step One: Admissibility Submission
- Decide your Program(s) of Interest from the list
- Consult the Minimum Academic Requirements/International Credentials for Graduate Students, listed by country to determine your academic eligibility for the program and MCF* https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/minimum-academic-requirements-international-credentials*Given that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available, a record that satisfies basic entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to graduate.
- If you meet the minimum academic requirements, email the MCF Program Assistant at email@example.com to determine your eligibility for the scholarship. In the subject line of the email, please state “Applying for Mastercard Foundation Scholarship- [Intended Program]”. Attach to your email a scanned copy of your transcripts and your CV/Resume. Also provide in the body of the email:
- First Name:
- Preferred First Name:
- Last Name:
- Intended Program (s):
- Country of Nationality:
The MCF Program Assistant will accept and determine Admissibility Submissions until November 9th,2018. If you are planning to apply for the MBA, please email the MBA Office Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25th, 2018 to determine your eligibility. Please note that the deadline to submit your documents for eligibility has passed and you are no longer able to apply for the scholarship this academic year.
Step Two: Additional Tests
If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught in English, make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and have the results sent to UBC; https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/english-proficiency-requirements .
Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Package
You must complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications before you apply to UBC. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Applications are due on November 16th, 2018. We strongly recommend you use email as this is faster and costs less. Late or incomplete packages cannot be accepted and UBC is not responsible for any packages not received by the deadline.
In order for the Selection Committee to determine your eligibility for this scholarship, you must demonstrate financial need, a commitment to give back and how your education will contribute towards the transformation of your community, your region or your country in Africa. You must:
- Complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility Form. This would be sent to you by the Program Assistant after determining your eligibility. If submitting a hand-written Eligibility Form, ensure that the document is clearly legible.
- Submit the Personal Statements as listed at the end of the Eligibility Form. Please see below:
- What is of importance to you and reflects who you are?(200-300 words)
- Describe a recent, meaningful involvement in your community, including what your role is/has been in the activity/ies. (200-300 words)
- Why are you interested in studying at UBC, and how do you envision your chosen program of study at UBC helping you to reach your long-term career and personal goals? What drives you to achieve your goals? (200 – 300 words)
- Persistence is crucial to the completion of this Please describe a situation where you had to overcome a significant obstacle/ challenge(s) to reach a goal. How did you react to this challenge, and what did you learn from the situation? (200 – 300 words)
- What else should we know about your financial condition in order to consider you for this scholarship?(200-300 words)
- Provide two reference letters A strong preference will be given to references letters that can attest to your leadership skills, commitment to community services and why you are suited for this award. Please note that each faculty will have specific requirements for reference letters separate to The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program – please make sure to follow these requirements when applying with your Faculty.
- Submit a CV/resume. This should include any relevant education and work experience.
- Submit the Eligibility Form, Personal Statements, CV and two references. Please complete and convert your eligibility documents to .pdf format and email them as attachments to email@example.com by November 16, 2018.
Step Four: UBC Faculty Applications
- Apply Online: Once your Mastercard Foundation Application is complete, you will receive an email with instructions to submit an online application to. See Step Three under “Deadline”.
- Review the instructions for faculty applications at: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/application-admission/application-process
- For MBA, apply here: https://appform.topapply.com/applicationformmodule/index/sauder
- Application Fees: You may be eligible for a fee waiver if your country is listed as one of the world’s 50 least developed countries, according to the United Nations. If you have any questions, please contact the MCFSP Program Please visit this website to check if you are eligible: https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/least-developed-country-category/ldcs-at-a-glance.html
Step Five: Reviewing Process
- In March 2019, Faculties will nominate admitted candidates for the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship. A university-wide selection committee will review scholarship applications from all three Faculties, rank them and select award recipients.
- In April 2019, only the MCF Scholar award recipients will be contacted and soon thereafter an announcement of award recipients will be made. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to all applicants who have not receive the scholarship.
UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholarship applications for 2019-2020 are now officially CLOSED. Applications for the 2020-2021 year will become available in late September or early October of 2019.
Click here to see a sample of the 2019-2020 MCF application: MCF Application Form 2019-2020- Sample.
For further questions and questions about the UBC Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
APPLY TO UBC
Please note that Faculty applications for Mastercard Foundation Scholarship applicants may be different than what is posted on Faculty websites. Be sure to review deadlines as noted in the DEADLINES section above.