The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC for undergraduate students is open to first-time applicants who are residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country. This program targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged, young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent.
Nominees need to apply online to the University of British Columbia AND submit the Undergraduate MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program application.
Undergraduate Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be eligible for consideration as an undergraduate for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, the nominee must:
- be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of their country’s socio-economic scale, and be able to show they lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence (mostly ‘A’s) under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities outside the classroom, in the school and/or community;
- be graduating/recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school;
- be applying for their first undergraduate degree in one of the following Faculties at UBC’s Vancouver campus:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Faculty of Forestry (Bachelor of Science in Forestry)
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems (including Global Resource Systems; Food, Nutrition & Health; Applied Biology [Applied Animal Biology, Applied Plant & Soil Sciences or Food & the Environment])
- Sauder School of Business (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Faculty of Science
- be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian Study Permit;
- commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
A student must be nominated for the Undergraduate MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of British Columbia. Nominations will be accepted from secondary schools and recognized international development agencies and their affiliates, or registered local or international charitable and not-for-profit organizations. Each school or organization may nominate a maximum of three students. Note that you will need to apply online to the University of British Columbia AND also submit the Undergraduate MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program nomination package.
Nominations are now closed.
Apply to UBC
Please note, the graduate applications for 2017/18 are NOW CLOSED.
Selection of Scholars
- A university-wide selection coordinating committee will award the scholarships to the top scholars based on the nominations from the faculties and a comprehensive review of the MCF scholarship application. All successful applicants will be notified by April 2017.
Please note the Deadline Date for Submissions:
1. MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Application due NOVEMBER 6, 2016. We are no longer accepting MasterCard Applications at this time.
2. If you have already submitted your MCF package, you still must apply to your intended faculty. UBC Faculty of Forestry and Faculty Land & Food Systems applications are due JANUARY 1, 2017.
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents by the dates requested above.
International Students at UBC
All students in the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC will join in UBC’s vibrant community of international students. Click here for more information about preparing for life as an international student at UBC. Please note that students in the MCFSP at UBC will work with the UBC MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Team to obtain many of the necessary components, including immigration documents, housing, orientation programs, and medical coverage.